This report provides background information on First Nation early learning in Ontario. It includes:
- population statistics;
- federal and provincial policy initiatives;
- statistics on factors affecting First Nation early learning (provided from two national surveys);
- general information on the goals of mainstream and First Nation early learning programs; and
- suggested strategies to support early learning.
The purpose of this resource is to:
- review the areas of policy and research that have been undertaken for First Nations children (from birth to age 6) living in Ontario; and
- identify strategies that support early learning for service providers who work with parents/caregivers of First Nations children.